Palestinian Authority calls on EU to resume financial support
AL-MUKALLA: Four Yemeni army soldiers have been killed and 17 others injured in the latest wave of Houthi attacks in three days, the Yemeni Defense Ministry said, adding another blow to the truce brokered by the UN.
The ministry said the Houthis violated the truce 288 times on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday in former fiery battlefields across the country.
He added that Yemeni forces have repelled numerous attempts by the Houthis to take control of new areas and have come under drone and missile attacks by the Houthis in the provinces of Hodeidah, Taiz, Marib, Hajjah, Jouf and Dhale.
Most of the Houthi attacks – 80 breaches – took place in the disputed district of Hays in Hodeidah province, followed by 65 breaches in Taiz where the Houthis attacked government troops with explosive-equipped drones and medium machine guns and heavy, killing four soldiers and wounding 17.
The total death toll in the army since last Saturday is nine.
Brig. General Abdu Abdullah Majili, spokesman for the Yemeni army, told Arab News that the army was still observing the truce, despite violations by the Houthis, reiterating calls for the international community to put pressure on the Houthis to stop the attacks.
“The Houthi terrorist militia broke the renewed truce hundreds of times in clear disregard of international agreements. There are many martyrs in the army in the attacks,” Majili said.
Despite confirmed reports of the violations, the UN and international aid organizations said human casualties had dropped significantly during the truce and life-saving humanitarian aid had reached the needy across the country.
In Sanaa, the Houthis held military funerals for five officers killed on the battlefield.
Dozens of dead Houthi fighters have been buried in similar military funerals over the past two months in Houthi-controlled areas.
In addition to reducing hostilities, the truce that came into effect on April 2 allowed the resumption of commercial flights from Sanaa airport for the first time in six years and also at least a dozen oil tankers entered the port of Sanaa. Hodeidah.
But the Houthis have not lifted the siege of the Yemeni city of Taiz, one of the elements of the truce despite two rounds of talks with the Yemeni government and growing international pressure.
Separately, the EU on Saturday called on local authorities in the southern Yemeni city of Aden to find the people who murdered journalist Saber Al-Haidari last week.
Al-Haidari, an employee of the Yemeni Ministry of Information and a journalist for a Japanese media, was burned alive in Aden after an IED tore up his car.
“The EU condemns the murder of journalist Saber Al-Haidari in Aden on Wednesday. We call on the authorities to investigate the incident and bring the culprits to justice,” EU said on Twitter.