Here is the financial support offered to those concerned

A beleaguered New South Wales is suffering its second round of intense flooding this year, prompting the government to release emergency disaster funds for 23 local government areas.

NSW State Emergency Service Chief Superintendent Ashley Sullivan said 40,000 people remained under the 69 evacuation orders still in effect on Friday.

“There’s a lot of risk out there and it’s not over yet,” Sullivan told Seven Network.

“We have a few days, maybe even a few weeks left.”

The Insurance Council of Australia said insurers had already received more than 8,000 flood-related claims, with an estimated total insurance loss of $97.9 million.

But not everyone will be able to rely on insurance payouts to overcome the consequences of the latest natural disaster.

Fixed price

Insurance Finder expert James Martin said many home insurance policies automatically cover flood damage, but some insurers only offer it as an extra and others don’t offer it at all. areas at high risk of flooding.

“Unfortunately a lot of people have been left out of flood insurance,” Mr Martin said.

If you found yourself unprotected by your insurance policy after the recent floods in NSW, or need cash fast, read on to learn more about disaster payment options. that are available to you.

You can apply for the following financial aid through your myGov account.

LGAs eligible for flood support

The 23 NSW LGAs eligible for financial support after the recent floods are:

  • Blacktown
  • blue mountains
  • Camden
  • Campbelltown
  • Canterbury Bankstown
  • central coast
  • Cessnock
  • Fairfield
  • Riviere-Georges
  • Hawkesbury
  • Hornsby
  • Kiama
  • lithgow
  • liverpool
  • Northern beaches
  • penrith
  • Shellport
  • Haven
  • Sutherland
  • The hills
  • Wingecarribee
  • Wollondilly
  • Wollongong.

NSW Flood Disaster Recovery Payment

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is intended to help people who have suffered significant damage to property or other property, serious injury, or deceased or missing immediate family members.

Eligible NSW residents can receive $1,000 per adult and $400 for each child under 16.

To be eligible for payment, you or a dependent child (for whom you are the primary carer) must be an Australian resident or hold a qualifying visa and reside in a qualifying LGA.

You can only apply for this payment once, and if you are part of a couple, you and your partner must apply separately.

Disaster Recovery Allowance

The Disaster Recovery Allowance provides financial support to people who lost their income as a direct result of the July floods in New South Wales.

If you live in one of NSW’s 23 eligible LGAs and – due to flooding – earn less than the average Australian weekly income of $1737.10, you will get the maximum equivalent weekly income rate of the JobSeeker Payment or youth allowance, depending on your personal situation.

You will not be eligible for this payment if you receive any of the following payments during your claim period:

  • An income support payment or pension
  • Parental leave allowance
  • Dad and his partner pay
  • ABSTUDY living allowance
  • Agricultural household allowance
  • A service pension from the Department of Veterans Affairs
  • Self-Employment Allowance or New Enterprise Incentive Scheme (NEIS) Allowance.

If you receive the disaster recovery allowance, you could potentially access the Beneficiary tax compensation. This can reduce the amount of tax you pay.

Disaster Relief Grant

The Disaster Relief Grant This assistance will be particularly useful if you are not covered by your insurer for damage caused by a natural disaster, as the eligibility criteria include:

  • Your primary residence was damaged by a natural disaster
  • You do not have insurance for the damage, or your insurance does not cover the damage caused during this natural disaster
  • You are a low-income person with limited financial resources after tax, mortgage, or rent
  • Less than six months have passed since the disaster.

You may not qualify if the damage to your home was caused or affected by lack of maintenance, or if the damage is cosmetic and not essential to the safety and livability of your home.

Disaster Relief Grant assistance falls into two categories:

  • Grants for Essential Household Contents help pay for the cost of replacing essential household items needed to maintain a basic standard of living
  • Structural grants that help either pay for essential structural repairs to homes or completely rebuild a property rendered uninhabitable by a natural disaster.

To apply for a disaster relief grant, call 13 77 88 to find out if you might be eligible and follow the instructions from there.

Support for New Zealanders

New Zealand nationals have received their own financial assistance, perhaps because the federal government wants to build closer relations with our Kiwi neighbours.

Beneficiaries of the New Zealand payment for disaster recovery can receive $1,000 per adult, $1,000 per partner or dependent adult and $400 for each child under 16.

You can receive the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment if you or a dependent child (for whom you are the primary carer) are a New Zealander on an unprotected special category visa (subclass 444) and a non-resident under the Social Security Act. 1991.

You must also reside in one of the qualifying LGAs and have paid tax in Australia for at least one year in the past three financial years, or will do so by July 7, 2023.

New Zealanders can also receive the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowancewhich offers the same JobSeeker Payment or Youth Allowance financial assistance as the Disaster Recovery Allowance available to other Australian residents, and comes with the same eligibility limits on your weekly income.

The other eligibility criteria for the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Allowance are the same as the criteria for the New Zealand Disaster Recovery Payment, except that the deadline for paying tax in Australia is July 5, 2023.

More information on financial support following the floods can be found on the New South Wales Government website.

Comments are closed.